Thursday, August 30, 2007

The City of Joy-Episode 1

Hello All,
Hope Everybody doing (Sleeping) well

to break the 'Silence' in this group, and also to share some of my experiences, this small 'attempt' is being made. In this series of mails, I am planning to describe about the City 'Kolkata' in my own way, words through my silent observation.

First of all I am glad to inform you that I had an opportunity to visit 'Kolkata' many times (almost 3 times),now being a temporary resident of this Great City, itâs a small Gratitude towards the Historic place and I Give an account of my experiences as well.

Kolkata, the capital of West Bengal, is the second largest city in India and is home to over 11 million people. This city is situated at about 1500 KM away from Hyderabad , Geographically it is located in the East of India, contagious to Bangladesh (just 100 KM far) and this is situated on banks of River "Hoogly".


Kolkata is known in different names - âthe cultural capital of India â, âthe city of joyâ, and âthe city of processionsâ.

Significance of the day:
Today [22/sept] is MAHALAYA for Bengalis. Durga Puja starts with this day.
Mahalaya is an auspicious occasion observed seven days before the Durga Puja, and heralds the advent of Durga, the goddess of supreme power. It's a kind of invocation or invitation to the mother goddess to descend on earth - "Jago Tumi Jago". This is done through the chanting of mantras and singing devotional songs.

To be cntnd... [More in Next Mail]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home